Friday, April 18, 2014

Posted by jinson on 10:51 AM 16 comments
Last week I was in the store and decided to pick up my favorite Easter treat- chocolate covered peanut butter eggs (you know the brand ;) ).  It is the one sweet  Easter tradition that I allowed myself to carry with me as I switched over to 'adulthood' .  After I got home, I put them in the fridge like I always do.  A few hours later when I ate one of them I was slightly taken aback.  THIS is the treat I always look forward to so much each year?  The chocolate was paper thin and the peanut butter was dry and crumbly.  I can do better I thought.  Below is the recipe I used. Even though my eggs have a little room to improve looks wise, it was really MUCH more simple than I thought it would be.  I will never buy another store bought peanut butter egg.




Ingredients

  • 16 oz jar of peanut butter
  • 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/4 cup butter softened
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extrace
  • 3 Tablespoons milk
  • 4 cups bittersweet chocolate chips
  • 1 TBSP and 1 tsp coconut oil or vegetable oil

Directions:



  • In the bowl of your stand mixer (or other large mixing bowl if using a hand mixer) , mix powdered sugar, peanut butter, vanilla, and softened butter with whisk attachment.


  • Add milk, one tablespoon at a time until it becomes a nice workable dough.  It will be a little bit sticky, but will scoop nicely.

  • Scoop 2 tablespoon sized rounds onto a large baking sheet or cutting voard lined with parchment paper.  If you find yourself out of parchment paper- like I did- you can use plastic wrap, but you will have to allow the chocolates to set up in the fridge or freezer.

  • Flatten and form into an egg shape with your fingers.  
  • When you are ready to dip the eggs in the chocolate, place the chocolate chips and coconut oil into a microwave safe glass container and heat at 30 second intervals, stirring well between each heating until melted smooth.
  • Dip the eggs into the chocolate.  I put mine on top of a spoon and dipped it down into the chocolate, lifting it up and allowing the extra to drip off afterwards.
  • Once you have all of the eggs dipped and placed on the wax paper (NOT TOUCHING), put the eggs into the fridge or freezer to set up.

16 comments:

  1. I had peanut butter and chocolate sundae last night.. it was really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look super simple to make. I am going to pin this to try next Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chocolate and peanut butter are an awesome combination! I bet they tasted amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this recipe! Perfect for Easter, but I love them so much that I'll make them year round.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love this recipe. and it doesnt require any cooking

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are one of my favorite treats too. I definitely need to try these! Pinned it for later. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I never realized how easy it would be to do my own! Thank you for sharing!! I will have to give these a try because let's face it - they don't have to be an Easter only thing, right!? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These sound really good & you make them sound pretty easy to make! I might have to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will have to make some for my husband. He loves chocolate and peanut butter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. yummy, love chocolate and peanut butter --- looks easy to make!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You got two of my favorite ingredients, peanut butter and chocolate. Yummy dessert and sure my kids will like it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mm, I may or may not have just sneaked one of these out of my son's soon-to-be Easter basket. They'd be better to make at home!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm Going To Enjoy Making These Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now that looks like a delicious treat, for sure. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds awesome! Thanks for this, pinning it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I always love hearing from my readers!